Feng shui is the ancient Chinese art of aesthetic placement. The doctrine of feng shui is based on the belief that the world is filled with energy. For someone to be successful, there must be a balanced flow of energy, or chi, in their life. The words feng and shui literally mean ‘wind’ and ‘water.’ Through the practice of feng shui, practitioners can learn to balance the design of their home, their relationships, and careers to become more successful, happy, and in harmony with their environment.
History of Feng Shui
The practice of feng shui began thousands of years ago. It is said that the use of feng shui began with the tribes who once wandered the land which is now known as China. Feng shui was first used to find the most auspicious day for the tribes to move. It was also used for divination. The practice of feng shui grew and expanded over the years and has evolved into the methods we are familiar with today.
- The Ancient Chinese Doctrine of Feng Shui: Read about the history of feng shui and its principles, along with tips for incorporating feng shui online and in homes.
- Ancient Chinese Feng Shui and Home Placement: Find out how home placement was chosen by the Ancient Chinese.
- The Origins of Feng Shui: In-depth articles about the history of feng shui, its cosmological origins, and more.
- Feng Shui History: The history and a timeline of feng shui, which dates back to 2000 B.C.
The Basics of Feng Shui
In feng shui the five elements of wood, fire, earth, metal, and water, play an important role. These elements are used to create balance and harmony within the office and living quarters. It is important that items representing these elements are correctly placed, otherwise the chi flow will be blocked. Anyone interested in incorporating feng shui techniques would benefit from learning the basics of feng shui and the relationship of the five elements.
- Feng Shui Terms: An alphabetical glossary of feng shui terms.
- The Elements of Feng Shui: Explanations of each of the five elements, wood, fire, earth, metal, and water, and how they relate to feng shui.
- Finding Balance with Feng Shui: An explanation of what feng shui is, with basic feng shui tips for the home and office.
- Interesting Facts About Feng Shui: Feng shui facts, theory, home decorating tips, ways to create feng shui space, and more.
- The Art of Feng Shui: Find out how feng shui can transform your house, apartment, or dorm room.
- Feng Shui: Information for homebuyers and homeowners including an overview of feng shui, its principles, and considerations for where to buy or build a home.
- The Art of Placement: Learn the basics of feng shui and some tips to begin to use in in your life.
- The Benefits of Feng Shui: What kind of difference can feng shui make in your life? This article outlines the benefits of utilizing feng shui.
Feng Shui Techniques
Over the years, many different feng shui techniques have developed. If you would like to bring more wealth into your life, the use of specially placed Chinese coins in your environment may help bring money your way. Want to work on or improve a love relationship? Feng shui has techniques that can help create a more satisfying love life. The following resources offer tips and instructions on how to use feng shui to enhance your life.
- Coin Usage in Feng Shui: This article describes the usage of feng shui coins to bring money into the home.
- Feng Shui and Your Health: Find out how feng shui effects your health and how to use it for your benefit.
- Feng Shui Bedroom Basics For Teens: Explanation of feng shui for teenagers, with ideas to design bedrooms using feng shui techniques.
- Feng Shui Directory: This page is packed with articles about feng shui and ways to use it.
- The Use of Colors in Feng Shui: Find out how to choose and use different colors according to the rules of feng shui.
- Feng Shui Love Tips: Feng shui can even be used to help a love relationship. This article supplies tips to help practitioner’s love lives.
- Pets and Feng Shui: Feng shui tips and techniques to make sure that our lives with our pets bring only goodness into our homes.
- Kitchen Makeover: This article has 10 feng shui tips to make your kitchen the “healthy heart” of your home.
- Applying Feng Shui In Your Life: This website contains many articles with different techniques to be used in the home and life.
- Feng Shui Hints and Tips: Avoiding vertical blinds is one of the many tips found on this page full of hints and tips for implementing feng shui in your home.
- Kua Calculator: Find out what you’re best direction is, the colors that work best for your success, and more, based on your birth date.
- The Four Pillars of Destiny: Explanation of the four pillars of destiny, a common technique used in feng shui.
Practitioners of feng shui believe that this ancient art has made a difference in their lives. The use of feng shui in a life has been compared to planting a tree with an eye to auspicious placement.
Where there is good soil, the proper amount of sunlight, nutrients, and water, the tree will be healthy. It will grow well and be happy, and it will be a blessing to its environment. A home that practices the ancient art of feng shui will be like this tree.
Photo by Avia Venefica, Creative Commons Attribution