Changing climatic conditions instigate unpredictable trends in the yield of vegetables and fruits. Unpredictable crop production makes food security a big issue for any society. Solar greenhouse provides a perfect solution to combat the unfavorable climatic conditions and helps maintain regulated growth of plants by giving complete control over the environmental conditions within the greenhouse to the owner. Maintaining a greenhouse, however, is not an easy task as it comes with a lot of responsibilities. An initiative to build a solar greenhouse should therefore be taken after acquiring a complete knowledge about the designs of solar greenhouse, its heating and insulation mechanism, other problems and their precautions related to it and the kind of plants grown in it.
- Greenhouse Effect: The document describes the success story of greenhouse technology.
The first step towards building a greenhouse is selection of a perfect location. A location should receive plenty of sunlight, should be easy to maintain and should be stable in bad weather. Solar greenhouses can be of different types. According to temperature, they can be categorized into the hot, cool and warm type. Based on design they can be categorized as the free standing, attached, span and window mounted type. Before making correct choice parameters like ventilation, irrigation and heating also need to be considered.
- Location: John Biernbaum, a professor of horticulture at Michigan State University, provides basic knowledge on choosing the correct location for a solar greenhouse.
- Types of greenhouse: West Virginia University provides detailed description on greenhouses explaining correct location of a greenhouse, types of greenhouses, structural materials that can be used for its construction and various environmental systems needed in greenhouse.
- Other parameters: A set of greenhouse gardening tips providing guidance on various factors that need to be considered before setting up a greenhouse.
- Greenhouse Design: National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service provides details on designing structure and materials that can be used for setting up a greenhouse.
The most important thing to be kept in mind for maintaining healthy growth of plants is the heating and insulation provided. The heating and insulation needs to be regulated as per the weather and needs of plants grown. Maintenance of heat in a greenhouse can be done via various methods using different instruments. Electric heaters are the most efficient and reliable methods of all. Other methods include gas heaters, paraffin heaters, double-glazing, thermal screens and base cladding. A greenhouse can be used to grow out-of-season plants and vegetables by maintaining proper conditions.
- Heating Systems: The site indented to conserve energy describes different technologies that can be used for proper heating with efficient energy
- Greenhouse vegetable production: The document discusses various parameters like fertilizers, soils, hydroponics and economics of organic vegetable production in greenhouse.
A greenhouse can house a varied number of plants and vegetables. Farmers can choose the crops according to the yield and seasons. There is a great variety of vegetables that can be grown according to the seasons in which the seeds are to be sown. Plants and vegetables such as peppers, cucumbers, beans, eggplant, melons, squash and tomatoes, carrots, lettuce and radish can all be grown in a greenhouse. Apart from this a large number of herbs can also be grown like chives, parsley, coriander, tarragon.
- Greenhouse Vegetable Production: A circular by New Mexico State University providing basic information on greenhouse with further emphasis on Tomato cultivation in greenhouse.
- Specific Crops: The fact sheet enlists various crop production techniques that can be implemented in a greenhouse.
Looking at the advantages of the solar greenhouse, people are now adopting this practice. For all the investment and responsibility greenhouse demands, it gives the best possible yield per hectare in any season round the year. Also, greenhouse provides optimized utilization of soil and water and produces fruits and vegetable of high nutritional value. A greenhouse holds the promise of food security and hence better living.
- Advantages of solar greenhouse: Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute provides multiple advantages and basic know-how of greenhouse.
- Low cost greenhouse: The document provides a complete description on setting up a solar greenhouse.
- Greenhouse Effect: The document describes the success story of greenhouse technology and its social and economic impact.